Upcoming Deadlines at a Glance
- Friday, 11/5 - Submit required PDST materials for programs with approved multi-year plans (today)
- Tuesday, 11/16 - Submit changes to the Master Org Tree
- Friday, 11/26 - Queue commitments for Q2 requests
- Monday, 1/10 - Report year-end gift recording and receipting
Submit required PDST materials for programs with approved multi-year plans by Friday, November 5
UCOP has asked that all programs with currently approved multi-year plans either:
- (a) confirm that they intend to charge the maximum approved PDST rate; or
- (b) request UCOP approval to charge a rate lower than was approved
Submit changes to the Master Org Tree by Tuesday, November 16
Org tree change requests can be submitted for review and approval anytime as the Budget and Financial Operations (BFO) team will review requests to approve in advance of when the tree will open. Due to the delayed budget process and pending final FY22 budget decisions the master org tree was closed longer after this past fiscal close period. We are now on track to process already approved org tree changes beginning November 16 which is also the submission deadline for approved requests forms to be submitted. Allowable changes for November include all Org Tree change types in addition to Org Node and DeptID movements. November will be the last opportunity to process Org Node and DeptID movements this fiscal year. We recommend that you submit your change request form for review as soon as possible to allow time for the BFO team to review your request, follow up with you for any necessary clarification, approve your request, and allow you time to obtain all required signatures before the submission deadline. The time needed to review change requests will vary, depending on the complexity of the request. For more information:
- A high-level summary of the process to approve org tree changes is available on the DFL concierge webpage.
- An overview of the org tree change submission deadlines is available in the Org Tree Submission and Processing Timeline.
- Please review the Org Tree Calendar for the timeline of allowable org tree changes throughout the year.
- Please submit questions and requests for changes to the Org Tree to email@example.com. Note: If you plan to request an Org Node change or Entity Hierarchy redesign, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and explain what you would like to change before completing the request form because these changes are typically more complex and involve longer consultations.
Queue commitments for Q2 requests by Friday, November 26
Please complete the applicable form below to queue commitments by Friday, November 26 for commitments to be funded in the second quarter of FY2021-22. Please note that the following commitments do not need to be queued: Budget Decisions; EVCP TAS; Star Awards; Bear Grants; Productivity Suite withdrawals and now endowment payouts for rotating chairs. Commitments are processed on a quarterly basis.
- To queue non-faculty commitments, complete the non-faculty commitments form on the DFL Knowledge and Resource Portal.
- To queue faculty commitments, complete the faculty commitments form on the DFL Knowledge and Resource Portal. Faculty commitments are defined for this purpose as Start-up; Retention; ASMD; and Chancellor's Professorships. Chancellor’s Professorships are those that are offered via start-up or retention in lieu of an actual chair - until one can be found, and are funded by central resources.
- New this year: Please provide screenshots of UCPath entries for ASMD leave begin dates and ASMD end dates when you queue ASMD funding through the faculty queue.
Report year-end gift recording and receipting by Monday, January 10
The deadline for gifts to be received in the Gift Services office to be counted for the calendar year 2021 is Monday, January 10, 2022. Information and instructions are available on the 2021 Calendar Year End flyer or on Berkeley’s advancement intranet Eureka; to review it log into Eureka and visit the Calendar Year End page or the frequently asked questions.
The key changes include:
- Hand delivery of gifts to UDAR 4th floor reception is available but discouraged. Please use USPS or Loomis armored service instead. If you plan to hand-deliver, please call (510) 642-1212 in advance to ensure someone can provide you access to the drop-safe.
- Retain and forward those postmarked envelopes, FedEx/UPS mailing envelopes or waybills!
- Do not accept credit card information by phone with intent to transmit to Gift Services for charging. Please have donors call (510) 643-9789 to give by phone.
- Please contact the Gift Services Securities Desk at email@example.com before a stock transfer happens to ensure the gift is identified and credited to the donor in a timely manner.
Please contact Gift Services with questions at (510) 643-9789 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review STAR Award Funding Allocation
The FY22 Staff Appreciation and Recognition program (STAR) has been allocated. Please review the STAR Allocation FY2022 spreadsheet to view the funding for your unit. The amount available to spend is in the last column called “2022 Beg. Bal + Distribution”. Please share this information with the person responsible for allocating funds for STAR awards within your unit. We recommend VCs and Deans consider funding awards from a centralized pool to maximize flexibility in managing these resources. It is important to use the proper chartstring when submitting an award. Failure to use Account 51231, will result in GAEL rates being applied. More information is available on the STAR Award Program Allocation page. If you have questions about the allocation, please contact the Budget and Financial Operations team at email@example.com.
Sign up for recharge training on December 3 and December 10
Self-certification recharge forms will be due on Friday, January 21. Divisions will need to submit a recharge self-certification form if they support a recharge unit and the unit charges Contracts and Grants or if the unit plans for a recharge income greater than $500,000 a year. We will post the self-certification form to the recharge page of the CFO website by Friday, November 12. In preparation for the upcoming deadline, we are offering two recharge workshops. Please follow the links below to register for a session. If you have any questions, please contact the Budget and Financial Operations team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome Amy Utstein, new DFL for Cal Performances
Cal Performances has a new Divisional Finance Leader, Amy Utstein. Amy is the Director of Finance and Administration and she is joining Cal Performances from Berkeley Law. Welcome Amy!
BEAR grant reports update
The Berkeley Excellence Accounts for Research Grants (or BEAR Grants) support Berkeley's ladder faculty as they advance their research, scholarship and creative accomplishments. Next week, the Budget and Financial Operations team will reach out to DFLs in academic divisions to provide a list of faculty designated as eligible by the Academic Personnel Office (APO) for the FY2021-22 BEAR Grant program, please review the message for more information. The BEAR Grant program fact sheet and frequently asked questions are available on the BEAR website for your reference. If you have questions regarding the use of BEAR funds, please contact the Budget and Financial Operations team at: email@example.com. For questions regarding eligibility, please contact the APO office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Business-related travel must be booked through ConnexUC beginning November 1
UC Berkeley is updating their policy on booking business-related travel. Beginning on November 1, employees and students booking flights for business travel will be required to book through the UC travel system ConnexUC (formerly Connexxus). This means employee and student travelers will also need to use the Direct Bill system to generate the identification number that will be used to pay for flights within ConnexUC. The benefit of using Direct Bill is that staff don’t have to pay out of pocket upfront for their airfare, often well in advance of the travel, then having to wait until travel is completed before being able to get reimbursed. With Direct Bill they can charge their airfare directly to the university. With this change, travelers or their delegates will include the payment chartstring when they make the Direct Bill request, rather than providing it in the reimbursement request. Booking through ConnexUC means travelers will automatically get travel insurance, ticket protection, and agent support for their trip. Other potential benefits include preferred seat options, priority standby, and additional mileage. Additionally, if you find a lower fare somewhere else, send it to the travel team at email@example.com and they’ll find you the rate in ConnexUC or potentially grant an exception to book outside the ConnexUC system. More information about how to use ConnexUC is available on the ConnexUC page on the Travel website and we will post frequently asked questions as they become available. If you have questions about this change, email the travel team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CalPlanning and Smart View Training
Do you need to learn or enhance your skills in CalPlanning or Smart View? Training classes are available through the end of June 2021. Visit the CalPlanning Training page to learn more and sign up. Our new blended learning model combines self-study work that you can do at your own pace with instructor-led group learning sessions where you can apply the material covered in the self-study.
Office Hours for CalPlanning and Smart View
Office hours are available so that you can ask specific questions about CalPlanning and Smart View. Request office hours and indicate the topic for which you are requesting support. Office hours are an opportunity to get individual support for a specific challenge your unit is facing; they are not a replacement for training.
Changes to the DFL in your division?
If the DFL role in your division is changing, email email@example.com to ensure our website, communications, and training plans are updated.
As a reminder, these updates are regularly posted to the DFL Weekly Updates page so you can reference past updates at any time.
Office of the Vice Chancellor of Finance