Upcoming Deadlines at a Glance
- Friday, 8/11 - Submit final corrections to class schedule and instructional record data for summer sessions
- Friday, 8/18 - Submit completed and approved org tree change requests
- Tuesday, 8/22 - Complete Q4 Key Controls
- Thursday, 8/31 - Return signed fiscal close certification letters
Budget process update
We have finalized the budget decisions and are working on the budget allocation letters, which we expect to distribute in the next two to three weeks. The CalPlanning planning tools (CalPlan, HCP) are closed so the Financial Planning & Analysis team can review the budget submissions. CalPlan and HCP will remain unavailable while the FY24 Operating Budget is finalized.
Final corrections to class schedule and instructional record data for summer sessions are due Friday, August 11
The Office of Planning and Analysis (OPA) will be reaching out to your department schedulers and managers and asking them to review their class schedule and instructional record data entry for summer sessions. This information must be finalized in Student Information Systems (SIS) by Friday, August 11. Please contact OPA Research Analyst Kira Blaisdell-Sloan or Beatriz Brando with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit completed and approved org tree change requests by Friday, August 18
If you would like to submit changes to the Org Tree, please submit your completed, Budget and Financial Operations (BFO) Committee approved request by August 18. We recommend that you submit your change request form for review as soon as possible to allow time for the BFO team to review your request, follow up with you for any necessary clarification, approve your request, and allow you time to obtain all required signatures before the submission deadline. As a reminder, the May 16 submission date was the last day that approved change requests could be submitted for entry to the May Master Org Tree. Allowable changes through May 31 included New DeptIDs, New Org Nodes, and Description Changes. Important: The Org Tree is now closed to all changes through fiscal close.
The time needed to review change requests will vary, depending on the complexity of the request. For more information:
- A high-level summary of the process to approve org tree changes is available on the DFL concierge webpage.
- An overview of the org tree change submission deadlines is available in the Org Tree Submission and Processing Timeline. Important: Please review the update on the estimated processing time for journal source configuration of new L4 org node codes. As a reminder, journal source configuration for new L4’s is required if there is a need to prepare and approve journals.
- Please review the Org Tree Calendar for the timeline of allowable org tree changes throughout the year.
- Please review the new Org Tree Lookup Tool This new tool replaces the monthly manually produced Master Org Tree and will provide the most current org tree data as of one business day before. Training materials and Job Aids are located on the CFO website.
- There are updates coming soon to the Department Prefixes, and How to Create Visio files job aids located in the Tools and job aids section of the Organizational Tree web page.
- Please submit questions and requests for changes to the Org Tree to email@example.com. Note: If you plan to request an Org Node change or Entity Hierarchy redesign, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and explain what you would like to change before completing the request form because these changes are typically more complex and involve longer consultations.
Complete Q4 Key Controls by Tuesday, August 22
Please complete and submit the financial reporting and system access reviews by Tuesday, August 22. You may have noticed some employees incorrectly showing up or missing on your System Access Review report. This is caused by a systems bug in determining ‘home departments’, stemming from updates to address performance issues. New reports will be issued at the beginning of next week with users appearing in the appropriate reports. If you have not done so already, please hold off on approving any reports until the new ones have been sent. Please visit the Controller's website for instructions and more information. Email questions about the financial reporting review controls to the Financial Accounting & Controls team at email@example.com and questions about the system access review controls to the BFS System Access team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return signed fiscal close certification letters by Thursday, August 31
The annual fiscal close certification letters will be sent to you and your respective Deans for signatures. Please upload the signed letters into your DFL - division’s box file folder by Thursday, August 31. Information about the fiscal close certification letter is available on the Controller's Office website. Contact the Financial Accounting & Controls team with questions at email@example.com.
- BFS, BLU, and BearBuy will not be available on Saturday, July 29, 2023, from 6 am to 6 pm due to regularly scheduled system maintenance.
- Cal Answers and CalPlanning will not be available on Sunday, August 13, from 6:00 am to midnight due to system maintenance.
Cal Answers Training
Please review the self-service learning resources on the Cal Answers website, where Cal Answers users will find a complete course in basic navigation as well as short videos, job aids, wiki documentation, and a list of Frequently Asked Questions. Additionally, the two-hour instructor-led classes build on the basic navigation skills covered in the self-study. There are separate courses focusing on financial dashboards and student data dashboards. In the class, a subject matter expert will guide a deep dive into the reports and data available in the dashboards and answer specific questions.
Financial Analyst 5, Job Posting # 56253
The VC Administration's Immediate Office (VCAIO) is recruiting a Financial Analyst 5. The job posting number is 56253. Please help spread the word and encourage qualified candidates to apply.
- External applicants - Link to FA5 Position 56253
- Internal (UCB) applicants - Link to FA5 Position 56253
Welcome to Zahra Rezapour, new DFL for Social Sciences
We would like to extend a welcome to the DFL community to Zahra Rezapour, the new Divisional Finance Leader for Social Sciences. Zahra is the Budget Director and DFL. Welcome Zahra!
Changes to the DFL in your division?
If the DFL role in your division is changing, email firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure our website, communications, and training plans are updated.
DFL Weekly Updates Page
As a reminder, these updates are regularly posted to the DFL Weekly Updates page so you can reference past updates at any time. Additionally, the Operational Deadlines page provides an overview of deliverables by quarter.
Office of the Vice Chancellor of Finance