How can we help you?

Depending on the type of endowment that is established, the annual payout from endowed faculty funds provide the chairholder with an annual scholarly allowance to support his/her teaching and research, as well as funds for graduate students in her/his field. Resources are also directed to support campus investment for faculty salaries in the area supported by the endowment.

Endowed chairs are reserved for distinguished scholars and teachers. Chairs may be used to honor a distinguished colleague or to attract to the Berkeley campus a valuable new member of the faculty. An administrative endowed chair provides funds in support of teaching, research, and service activities of the department, research unit, school, or college.

Many of the campus endowed chairs are “rotating” endowed chairs.  These are chairs that can move between departments and/or divisions; upon the appointment end date, the chair is either renewed or can go to another professor in a different field.  For this reason, University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR) transfers the annual payout to a central deptId.  The Office of the CFO (OCFO) sends the funds to the appropriate Chairholder/Department or Center/Division upon receipt of signed approved budget, which comes via the Divisional Finance Lead (DFL).

Select an action from the choices below. If none of these meet your needs, please email us at with "Endowed chairs inquiries" in the subject line of your email. All inquiries must be reviewed and submitted by your Divisional Finance Leader to be considered by our concierge service.