This page will outline the upcoming deadlines and deliverables for the FY2019-20 budget process. It will be updated as information becomes available.
Strategic Plan Template - due Thursday, January 31
The Strategic Plan Template is a one-page document where divisions document their strategies, plans, and goals for FY2019-20. Deans and Vice Chancellors will share their templates in leadership meetings in February. All divisions are expected to complete and submit a draft version of the template to the Office of the EVCP by Thursday, January 31.
The strategic plan has two pages: a blank template with instructions and a completed example. The instructions are embedded into the “notes pages” of the blank template.
- Strategies are what statements that represent your vision.
- Strategies typically stride multiple fiscal years.
- All units should include a strategy that supports philanthropy and revenue generation.
- Strategies are action statements – lead with a verb.
- It isn’t necessary to populate 5 strategies. Use strategies that make sense to your unit.
- Plans support strategies and are statements of how you will fulfill the strategy.
- When plans result in NEW revenue, state the new incremental revenue in the first position within the parenthesis.
- Bold plans that result in NEW revenue for discussion with your dean, VC, the Provost, and the Chancellor.
- The owner will next be stated – this person will be accountable for the plan. Try to use a single owner whenever possible.
- The last field within the parenthesis is the final date of expected completion.
- It isn’t necessary to populate 5 plans. Use plans that make sense to your unit.
- Goals define when plans will be completed – they are expressed as the percentage of progress you will make throughout the year.
- Goals do not have to be completed within the fiscal year – many plans span multiple fiscal years. Progress against the goals will be reviewed with your dean, VC, the Provost, or the Chancellor.
Form A is used to collect faculty appointment information, to accompany your budget submission. The Financial Planning & Analysis team distributed Form A to the Divsional Finance Leaders of academic units with ladder rank faculty.
Please email your completed Form A to the Financial Planning & Analysis team at email@example.com by Friday, March 1.
The purpose of Form A is to document additional changes needed to plan for the resource side (71xxx transfer) for anticipated changes in permanently budgeted faculty on fund 19900. Similar to last year, Form A is produced at the L3 level. There are three tabs within the form:
- an instructions tab
- a tab with existing ladder rank faculty
- and a tab to capture new faculty
Divisional Financial Leaders with ladder rank faculty should provide data on anticipated faculty merits and promotions. The changes in related fringe benefits are formula-driven.
Please email your completed Form A to the Financial Planning & Analysis team at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 1. We’ll upload the results to your division’s FY19 Forecast and FY20 Operating Budget in CalPlan in early March; however, if you submit your form early we can review and post your results earlier.
Your completed FY19 Forecast and FY20 Operating Budgets are due in CalPlan on Friday, March 22 by 7pm. The Q3 Forecast is due Friday, March 22 as part of your budget submission.
The CalPlanning planning tools (CalPlan, HCP) will close after the deadline, so that the Financial Planning & Analysis team can review the budget submissions. The CalPlanning reporting tools (CalRptg, HCPRptg, Smart View) will remain available, with FY19 Forecast Planner Submission and FY20 Operating Budget Planner Submission available for reporting.
- FY2019-20 Narrative template - follow this link to download the template.
- Sample Divisional Dashboard - follow this link to download.
- Sample Divisional Dashboard data sheet - follow this link to download.
The revenue generation template is an Excel workbook of templates to assist you in determining incremental revenue from new initiatives for FY2019-20. The template is designed for approval of your revenue generation plan in your budget submission; you’ll need to use additional project planning materials for your teams to execute approved revenue programs throughout the year.
- Revenue generation template - follow this link to download the template.
The revenue generation template is due the Financial Planning & Analysis team at email@example.com on Wednesday, April 3. Departments are encouraged to submit as early as possible.
This template allows units to submit their plan and relevant background information for achieving incremental net revenue growth in FY20 that can be applied toward your Budget Improvement Target as part of your FY20 budget submission.
Enter incremental net revenue by category and quarter on the Summary tab
- Enter your anticipated incremental revenue and associated expenses in the quarter in which they will be realized. Use the other enclosed tabs on this spreadsheet to help estimate values and to provide us with more details of your plan.
- Help us understand the key metrics and/or leading indicators that you monitor during the year to know if you're on track for your planned revenue growth. This helps us minimize risk throughout the year by getting early indications of how well we're doing toward our targets.
- Help us understand uncertainty and risk in your budgeted incremental net revenue for the year by providing a best-case and worst-case estimate for each category. This helps us minimize risk at a portfolio level as we can better account for variance in individual initiatives.
- To simplify the quarterly reporting process, please provide us with the chart of accounts where the incremental revenues and expenses for the various categories will hit.
For categories for which you are forecasting incremental net revenue, fill out the appropriate details tab.
- The tabs are numbers 1-7 and each contains specific instructions.
- While these tabs are less important than the summary tab, providing thorough and accurate data in these tabs helps us understand your summary estimates.
- If you have questions about these tabs, please email NAV-B at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In general for the summary tab and detail tabs 1-5, blue shading indicates a cell that you should input data into and yellow shading indicates an output cell showing calculated incremental net revenue.
The multi-year templates enable you to develop a budget strategy planned out further than the next budget year in CalPlan. This plan helps improve visibility into future divisional financial trends, enabling us to plan for a sustainable financial future and a balanced budget.
The multi-year planning template is due to the Financial Planning & Analysis team at email@example.com on Wednesday, April 3, two weeks after your FY2019-20 budget submission is due in CalPlanning.
- Multi-year planning template - follow this link to download the template.
- Multi-year planning template job aid - this job aid will walk you through how to use the template.
- Appendix #2-Multi-year planning - this appendix provides guidence to the FY2019-20 multi-year planning process.
- We recommend you review the multi-year planning template job aid before working in the template.
- Once you've downloaded the template, save it to your desktop and open it with Smart View. If you are working outside the campus network, log in remotely.
- The template is pre-populated with your data and uses algorithms and division specific knowledge to extend your financial plan through FY2021-22.
- Review each line of the SRECNA (except campus support) and either:
- Override the pre-populated dollar amount by entering either a percentage increase compared to prior year and/or an incremental dollar amount compared to prior year, OR
- Accept the pre-populated dollar amount.
- The first year budget, FY20, is built in details in Calplan as in previous years. The multi-year planning template has been shared with each division as part of the budget process. The template is designed to be cascaded down from the divisional L3 level to L4 levels or even L5 levels. L4 or L5 units can then use the planning tool to build their second and third year budget for FY21 and FY22.
- The template functionality rolls up the L4 or L5 level budgets for FY21 and FY22 and consolidates them at a division L3 multi-year budget.
- FY21 and FY22 data for all elements of the SRECNA have been modeled based on prior year trends with the exception of the campus support elements of the SRECNA.
This year we’re incorporating the reserve analysis template into the budget process. The information you provided as part of the reserve analysis project last year was extremely helpful and allowed us to provide transparency into campus' reserve balances and better frame how we can enable their use for investment in our highest priorities. Because it was such a valuable exercise, we would like to continue to partner with you to make the reserve analysis part of the budget process.
Reserve Analysis template - the reserve analysis templates are located within your divisional folders, inside the FY2019-20 Budget Process folder.
Reserve Analysis Template Guidelines - review the guidelines for detailed information on how to complete the templates.
- Reserve Analysis categories - review the fund and usage categories for your ending balances.
Your completed reserve analysis template is due to the Financial Planning & Analysis team at firstname.lastname@example.org on Wednesday, April 3.
The Reserve Analysis Template Guidelines include detailed instructions on how to interpret the fund and usage categories for your ending balances and we will provide templates to assist you in gathering the information needed for this analysis as well as a copy of your division’s completed template from last year.
When approaching this analysis, it is important to keep in mind the perspective/lens from which the balances are being viewed. The analysis seeks to review balances from the L4 Department perspective in terms of the usage and management of funds including commitments made and payment obligations owed by the Department.
The analysis is looking at beginning balances as of July 1, 2018 and is based on commitments approved as of June 30, 2018. Projected or anticipated funds that are not currently included in your balances as of July 1, 2017 should not be considered. Commitments or known obligations that were not approved as of June 30, 2018 should not be treated as obligations as it relates to these balances.
Before categorizing the data, please take the time to fully understand the definitions of each fund category and fund usage, and how they relate to the funds in your Department. Each fund category and usage are separate and distinct. It is important to first identify the fund category and then identify the usage. The guidelines and included examples are designed to provide general expectations for each classification. They do not capture every situation that may exist on campus, but our hope is to provide as much guidance as possible.
This year we are bringing back Form B – the Supplemental Budget Request Form. We have made it simpler than in years past, which should help facilitate discussions with leadership. The Form B is Excel-based, and each ask should be recorded in priority order. The form is only required if the division is requesting additional central resources.
This form should not be used for changes in permanently budgeted faculty compensation expenses (see Form A), Strategic Investments (see the Narrative Template), or Capital requests. Please do not enter on this form any ongoing commitments or block grants that appear on your Intersection Detail Reports (IDRs). Only include those commitments that are expiring that you would like extended, or those that you would like incremented.
Form B (which is optional and only necessary to submit if the division is requesting central funding) is due to the Financial Planning & Analysis team at email@example.com on Wednesday, April 3, two weeks after your FY2019-20 budget submission is due in CalPlanning.
- Form B template - follow this link to download the template. The first tab of the workbook contains instructions.