The Strategic Plan Template is a one-page document where divisions document their strategies, plans, and goals for FY2018-19. Deans and Vice Chancellors will share their templates in leadership meetings throughout February. All divisions are expected to complete and submit a draft version of the template to the Office of the EVCP by Friday, February 2.
The strategic plan has two pages: a blank template with instructions and a completed example. The instructions are embedded into the “notes pages” of the blank template.
- Strategies are what statements that represent your vision.
- Strategies typically stride multiple fiscal years.
- All units should include a strategy that supports philanthropy and revenue generation.
- Strategies are action statements – lead with a verb.
- It isn’t necessary to populate 5 strategies. Use strategies that make sense to your unit.
- Plans support strategies and are statements of how you will fulfill the strategy.
- When plans result in NEW revenue, state the new incremental revenue in the first position within the parenthesis.
- Bold plans that result in NEW revenue for discussion with your dean, VC, the Provost, and the Chancellor.
- The owner will next be stated – this person will be accountable for the plan. Try to use a single owner whenever possible.
- The last field within the parenthesis is the final date of expected completion.
- It isn’t necessary to populate 5 plans. Use plans that make sense to your unit.
- Goals define when plans will be completed – they are expressed as the percentage of progress you will make throughout the year.
- Goals do not have to be completed within the fiscal year – many plans span multiple fiscal years. Progress against the goals will be reviewed with your dean, VC, the Provost, or the Chancellor.
Form is used to collect faculty appointment information, to accompany your budget submission. The Financial Planning & Analysis team will distribute Form A the week of February 26 to the DFLs who need to complete it.
Please email your completed Form A to the Financial Planning & Analysis team at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, March 26.
The purpose of Form A is to document the resource side (71xxx transfer) of the anticipated net change in permanently budgeted faculty on fund 19900. Similar to last year, Form A is produced at the L3 level. There are three tabs within the form:
- an instructions tab
- a tab with existing ladder rank faculty
- and a tab to capture new faculty
Divisional Financial Leaders with ladder rank faculty should provide data on anticipated faculty merits and promotions. The changes in related fringe benefits are formula-driven.
Please email your completed Form A to the Financial Planning & Analysis team at email@example.com by Monday, March 26. We’ll upload the results to your division’s FY18 Forecast and FY19 Operating Budget in CalPlan in early April, however, if you submit your form early, we can review and post your results earlier.
Your completed FY18 Forecast and FY19 Operating Budgets are due in CalPlan on Friday, April 13 by 7pm. The CalPlanning planning tools (CalPlan, HCP) will close after the deadline, so that the Financial Planning & Analysis team can review the budget submissions. The CalPlanning reporting tools (CalRptg, HCPRptg, Smart View) will remain available, with FY18 Forecast Planner Submission and FY19 Operating Budget Planner Submission available for reporting.
The revenue generation template is an Excel workbook of templates to assist you in determining incremental revenue from new initiatives for FY2018-19. The template is designed for approval of your revenue generation plan in your budget submission; you’ll need to use additional project planning materials for your teams to execute approved revenue programs throughout the year.
- Revenue generation template - Please follow the link to download the template.
The revenue generation template is due on April 20, a week after your FY2018-19 budget submission is due in CalPlanning. However, departments are encouraged to submit as early as possible in order to get more timely feedback.
DFLs of academic units: Submit templates to the DFL Concierge at firstname.lastname@example.org and Scott Shireman, Chief Operating Officer of University Extension and Director of New Academic Ventures at Berkeley (NAV-B) at email@example.com. Templates will be reviewed by VC Finance and NAV-B and approved as part of the budget review process. Philanthropy programs will be vetted by University Development and Alumni Relations.
- DFLs of non-academic units: Submit templates to the DFL Concierge at firstname.lastname@example.org and Scott Shireman, Chief Operating Officer of University Extension and Director of New Academic Ventures at Berkeley (NAV-B) at email@example.com, and their respective Vice Chancellor or Associate Vice Chancellor. Non-Academic revenue generation plans will be reviewed by the applicable Vice Chancellor/Associate Vice Chancellor, VC Finance, and NAV-B, then approved as part of the budget review process. Philanthropy programs will be vetted by University Development and Alumni Relations.
This template allows academic units to submit their plan and relevant background information for achieving incremental net revenue growth in FY19 that can be applied toward your Budget Improvement Target as part of your FY19 budget submission. Submissions will be reviewed by the New Academic Ventures at Berkeley (NAV-B) team and the Office of VC Finance and units will be notified how much of the forecasted incremental net revenue can be included toward the Budget Improvement Target. Because of this, units are highly recommended to fill out the template as thoroughly as possible and to seek guidance as early as possible in the process.
Enter incremental net revenue by category and quarter on the Summary tab
- Enter your anticipated incremental revenue and associated expenses in the quarter in which they will be realized. Use the other enclosed tabs on this spreadsheet to help estimate values and to provide us with more details of your plan.
- Help us understand the key metrics and/or leading indicators that you monitor during the year to know if you're on track for your planned revenue growth. This helps us minimize risk throughout the year by getting early indications of how well we're doing toward our targets.
- Help us understand uncertainty and risk in your budgeted incremental net revenue for the year by providing a best-case and worst-case estimate for each category. This helps us minimize risk at a portfolio level as we can better account for variance in individual initiatives.
- (OPTIONAL) We want to try to simplify the quarterly reporting process this year by piloting more automated mid-year reporting. If you provide us with the chart of accounts where the incremental revenues and expenses for the various categories will hit, we can try to automate the mid-year reporting as much as possible.
For categories you are forecasting incremental net revenue, fill out the appropriate details tab.
- The tabs are numbers 1-7 and each contains specific instructions.
- While these tabs are less important than the summary tab, providing thorough and accurate data in these tabs helps us understand your summary estimates and makes it more likely they will be approved for inclusion in your budget toward your Budget Improvement Target.
- If you have questions about these tabs or would like to submit your background data in a different format please email NAV-B at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP.
- In general for the summary tab and detail tabs 1-5, blue shading indicates a cell that you should input data into and yellow shading indicates an output cell showing calculated incremental net revenue.
This year we’re introducing a new multi-year planning template, to enable you to develop a budget strategy planned out further than the next budget year in CalPlan. This plan will help improve visibility into future divisional financial trends, enabling us to plan for a sustainable financial future and a balanced budget.
The multi-year planning template is due to VC Finance at email@example.com on April 20, a week after your FY2018-19 budget submission is due in CalPlanning.
- Multi-year planning template - Please follow the link to download the template.
- Multi-year planning template job aid - This job aid will walk you through how to use the template.
- Multi-year planning presentation - This is the material presented at the workshops.
- We recommend you review the multi-year planning template job aid before working in the template.
- Once you've downloaded the template, save it to your desktop and open it with Smart View. If you are working outside the campus network, log in remotely.
- The template is pre-populated with your data and uses algorithms and division specific knowledge to extend your financial plan through FY2020-21.
- Review each line of the SRECNA (except campus support) and either:
- Override the pre-populated dollar amount by entering either a percentage increase compared to prior year and/or an incremental dollar amount compared to prior year, OR
- Accept the pre-populated dollar amount.
- The first year budget, FY19, is built in details in Calplan as in previous years. The multi-year planning template has been shared with each division as part of the budget process. The template is designed to be cascaded down from the divisional L3 level to L4 levels or even L5 levels. L4 or L5 units can then use the planning tool to build their second and third year budget for FY20 and FY21.
- The template functionality rolls up the L4 or L5 level budgets for FY20 and FY21 and consolidates them at a division L3 multi-year budget.
- FY20 and FY21 data for all elements of the SCRECNA have been modeled based on prior year trends with the exception of the campus support elements of the SCRECNA.
In preparation for the upcoming divisional budget meetings in May, VC Finance is again preparing customized divisional dashboards to guide your discussions with EVCP Paul Alivisatos and VC Finance Rosemarie Rae. We’ll use your completed FY2018-19 narrative template to populate your division’s dashboard, and - like last year - we’ll provide you with an opportunity to review and edit your narratives in the dashboard prior to your budget meeting.
- FY2018-19 Narrative template - Please follow the link to download the template.
Your completed narrative template is due to VC Finance at firstname.lastname@example.org on April 20, a week after your FY2018-19 budget submission is due in CalPlanning.