Upcoming deadlines at a glance
- Friday, 5/7 - Complete FY21 Full-Year Forecast (today)
- Monday, 5/10 - Submit nominations for SPOT awards for COVID volunteers
- Friday, 5/14 - Ensure schedulers check final Spring CSIR data
- Tuesday, 5/18 - Submit completed and approved org tree request forms
- Friday, 5/28 - Submit non-contract and grant deficit waiver requests
- Thursday, 6/3 - Complete external audit confirmation for Q4
FY22 budget process update and DFL/CAO meeting Thursday, May 20
The working group examining alternative methodologies for distributing the $65M cost recovery assessment are finishing their recommendations today, after which they will be shared with campus leadership for their input. We’ve invited DFLs and CAOs to a meeting at 10 am on Thursday, May 20 where we’ll share the recommendations from the working group and solicit feedback from the CAO/DFL community.
Complete FY21 Full-Year Forecast by Friday, May 7 (today)
Due to the extension of the FY22 budget process kick-off, we are asking all divisions to submit a separate FY21 Full-Year Forecast. Unlike past Flash Forecast submissions, we are only asking you to complete the Forecast Trend and Variance Report, identifying the drivers of material positive or negative variances (over 5% or $500K, whichever is greater). Full instructions are included on the first tab of the report document. Complete the Forecast Trend and Variance Report and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 7. CalPlan and HCP will be unavailable after 7:00 pm, Friday, May 7 so that the Financial Planning and Analysis team can review the Forecast submissions. The CalPlanning reporting tools (CalRptg, HCPRptg, Smart View) will remain available.
Special SPOT Awards for COVID Volunteers are due by Monday, May 10
We are pleased to announce there are special SPOT awards available for staff who responded to the “Call to Action” in February by performing temporary assignments in support of our students. To submit the names of staff who qualify based on performing the volunteer work identified in the campus message on February 5, 2021, complete the form: COVID Volunteers SPOT award. These special awards for COVID volunteers are centrally administered by People and Culture and separate from the regular STAR awards funding that was allocated to divisions in February. The deadline to complete and submit the form is Monday, May 10. If you have questions, email email@example.com, Finance and Operations Manager at People and Culture.
Ensure schedulers check final Spring CSIR data by Friday, May 14
Final corrections to class schedule and instructional record data for the spring semester are due by Friday, May 14. There are Student Information Systems (SIS) Class Schedule & Instructional Record (CSIR) Error and Review Reports to assist schedulers in this task. We’ll send the schedulers their reports directly before the deadline and they are available on the SIS reporting center. This information must be finalized in SIS by Friday, May 14. Please contact Office of Planning and Analysis Research Analysts Kira Blaisdell-Sloan or Beatriz Brando with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit completed and approved org tree change requests by Tuesday, May 18
If you would like to submit changes to the Org Tree, please submit your completed, approved request by Tuesday, May 18. As a reminder, the submission date is the last day that approved change requests can be submitted for entry to the May Master Org Tree. We recommend that you submit your change request form for review as soon as possible to allow time for the Budget and Financial Operations team to review your request, follow-up with you for any necessary clarification, approve your request, and allow you time to obtain all required signatures before the submission date. The time needed to review change requests will vary, depending on the complexity of the request. For more information:
- A high-level summary of the process to approve org tree changes is available on the DFL concierge webpage.
- An overview of the org tree change submission deadlines is available in the Org Tree Submission and Processing Timeline. Please keep in mind the last opportunity to submit approved org tree changes this fiscal year is Tuesday, May 18. Current allowable changes; New DeptIDs, New Org Nodes with New DeptIDs, and description changes already approved and submitted by the May 18 deadline will be processed to the May Master Org Tree. All org tree changes to include New Org Nodes, New DeptIDs, description changes as well as Org Node and DeptID movements will not resume until after fiscal close. However, you may continue to submit requests at any time for review and approval. Please review the Org Tree Calendar for the timeline of allowable org tree changes throughout the year.
- Please submit questions and requests for changes to the Org Tree to email@example.com.
- Note: If you plan to request an Org Node change or Entity Hierarchy redesign, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and explain what you would like to change before completing the request form because these changes are typically more complex and involve longer consultations.
Submit non-contract and grant deficit waiver requests by Friday, May 28
The non-contract and grant (C&G) FY2020-21 Deficit Waiver request form is now available on the VC Finance website. If you are planning to submit a non-C&G waiver request, complete the form by Friday, May 28. As a reminder, all divisions are expected to meet their operating needs within their available funding; waivers should only be requested for exceptional circumstances. Deficits less than $25,000 are not eligible for a waiver request.
To assist in this process, use the fund deficit report in Cal Answers: Dashboards>Finance>Fund Deficits Reporting>Deficits to be Cleared. Note that you do not need to submit a new request for a previously approved multi-year deficit waiver unless you require a higher waiver amount.
To view FY2020-21 waivers that were approved as part of a prior multi-year request, use the waiver report in Cal Answers: Dashboards>Finance>Fund Deficits Reporting>Waivers and Tolerances.
More information about non-C&G deficit resolution policy and processes, including waiver eligibility thresholds, how to clear deficits, and what happens if a deficit is not cleared, is available on the DFL website. If you have other questions regarding the non-C&G deficit clearing process, please contact the Financial Planning & Analysis team at email@example.com.
Complete external audit confirmation for Q4 by Thursday, June 3
To ensure the completeness and accuracy of the quarterly Controller’s report on the campus’ external audit activities, please help us identify the campus’s external audit activities. The Controller’s Office is sending a separate email with additional information to DFLs with known external audit activity. By Thursday, June 3, 2021, please submit the materials below to Yohei Azuma at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- All DFLs: External Audit Confirmation Form (You must return the completed External Audit Confirmation Form even if you do not have any external audit activities so we can certify campus responses.)
- DFLs with external audit activities: External Audit Confirmation Template (Include any related documentation with the template, i.e. notification of the commencement of the audit, audit report, etc.)
If you have questions, contact Yohei by email at email@example.com.
CalPlanning and Smart View Training
Do you need to learn or enhance your skills in CalPlanning or Smart View? Training classes are available through the end of June 2021. Visit the training page of the CalPlanning website to learn more and sign up. Our new blended learning model combines self-study work that you can do at your own pace with instructor-led group learning sessions where you can apply the material covered in the self-study.
Office Hours for CalPlanning and Smart View
Office hours are available so that you can ask specific questions about CalPlanning and Smart View. Sign up for a session and indicate the topic for which you are requesting support. Office hours are an opportunity to get individual support for a specific challenge your unit is facing; they are not a replacement for training.
Implementing a Common Chart of Accounts
UCOP is implementing a new financial information system to replace its existing systems and services. To successfully operate in this new system, UCOP and all UC campuses are moving to a new Chart of Accounts that is standardized across the UC system. This Common Chart of Accounts (CCOA) will enhance systemwide reporting, budgeting, and financial management, reducing extensive and expensive data reconciliations across locations. UC Berkeley financial data reported to UCOP must comply with the new CCOA standards no later than July 1, 2023. Please review the information on the Controller’s Office website about the enhancements that will be implemented at UC Berkeley in order to align with the Common Chart of Accounts plan from UCOP.
Changes to the DFL in your division?
If the DFL role in your division is changing, email firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure our website, communications, and training plans are updated.
As a reminder, these updates are regularly posted to the DFL webpage so you can reference past updates at any time.
Office of the Vice Chancellor of Finance