Upcoming deadlines at a glance
- Tuesday, 6/8 - Submit draft gift agreements
- Friday, 6/18 - Submit permanent budget transfers involving revenue rebudgets
- Monday, 6/28 - Submit gifts and signed gift agreements
- Thursday, 7/1 - Submit C&G deficit clearing waivers in BFS (RAs)
- Wednesday, 7/9 - Approve C&G deficit clearing waivers (DFLs)
FY22 budget process update
Decisions regarding the recommendations from the Cost Recovery Methodology Working Group will be communicated next week, as will the calendar for the budget process. The deliverables this year will be similar to last year and deadlines will be set in recognition of the possible overlap with fiscal close.
The Financial Planning & Analysis team distributed the Form A templates and they are due back to the team at email@example.com on Friday, July 9. The purpose of Form A is to plan campus support for faculty appointments.
Submit permanent budget transfers involving revenue rebudgets by Friday, June 18
Complete the Permanent Budget Journal Approval Request form to submit permanent budget transfers within your division by Friday, June 18. This includes any rebudgets to your revenue. If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with "permanent budget journal approval" in the subject line of your email.
Submit draft gift agreements by Tuesday, June 8, and gifts and signed gift agreements by Monday, June 28
UDAR’s Gift Services and Fund Management has posted gift transaction deadlines, submission guidelines, and contact information on the 2021 Fiscal Year-end Gift Close Eureka flyer.
- Tuesday, June 8 is the deadline to submit via Fiat Docx draft agreements for pledges or outright gifts that establish new funds. Questions about gift agreements may be addressed to Fund Management at email@example.com.
- Monday, June 28 is the deadline to submit gifts and executed and signed gift agreements for inclusion in FY 2021 totals. Questions about gifts may be addressed to Gift Services at 510-643-9789 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit Contracts & Grants deficit clearing waivers in BFS by Thursday, July 1
Research Administrators (RAs) or other BFS departmental users should submit FY21 Contracts & Grants deficit clearing waiver request forms, for a waiver of deficit clearing on open awards, via the RA Grants WorkCenter no later than Thursday, July 1, 2021. For the Year-End Deficit Clearing Process on open awards, BFS users can submit the C&G deficit clearing waiver request form through the RA Grants WorkCenter as of Tuesday, June 1. Refer to the action dots in the blue header row at the top of the screen for instructions. Access to the RA Grants WorkCenter is obtained by submitting a request via the SARA system. You can read more about the year-end deficit clearing process on the Controller's Office website.
Approve FY21 Contracts & Grants deficit clearing waiver request forms by Friday, July 9
The deadline for Divisional Finance Leaders (DFLs) to approve the C&G deficit clearing waiver requests in BFS is Friday, July 9, 2021. DFLs should navigate to the following page in BFS in order to approve waivers: Enterprise Components > Forms > Approve/Review a Form. Enter “CGADFCWVR” in the “Form” field.
As a reminder, the following are exempt from the Year-End C&G Deficit Clearing Process related to open awards. Please do not submit a waiver under these circumstances:
- Awards that have a final Financial Report due date after May 31 and before January 1.
- Awards with an Anticipated Funding Amount recorded in BFS that exceeds the total actual expenses as of June 30. The Anticipated Funding Amount for awards is found in the BFS fund panel on the "Award Info" page.
If you have further questions regarding the Contracts & Grants deficit clearing processes, please contact the Controller’s Office at email@example.com.
Direct Bill system updates are available
We’ve updated the system that allows you to charge airfare directly to the university for business travel - Direct Bill. We have incorporated some general updates to improve the look and feel of the system and make it easier to navigate. We’ve also incorporated two changes in the current system process. First, we’ll require the person setting up the Direct Bill ID to choose a preferred travel approver and that approver will receive an email informing them that the Direct Bill ID has been generated and that it will be used to bill airfare directly to the university and to a specific chartstring. As long as the travel was authorized and the chartstring is appropriate, then no action is required on the part of the approver, the email is simply a notification. Second, when booking the Direct Bill ID, the system will ask "Is Berkeley the travel destination?" so that booking travel to UC Berkeley will be easier. More information about the updates to the Direct Bill system is available on the travel website. If you have any questions, please contact the T&E team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Endowment FY22 payout projections are available
Endowment payout projections are now available through the Cal Advancement Database System (CADS), where users can look at estimates for specific funds or run reports for a school/college, division, or department. Run the Future Payout Report in CADSmart or look at payout estimates for individual funds on the allocation screens. Divisional Finance Leaders should contact Fund Management at email@example.com with any endowment payout questions. To learn more about endowments, please go to Eureka, Berkeley's advancement intranet, which can be accessed with your CalNet credentials.
Master Org Tree closed
The final opportunity to submit approved org tree change requests to be entered in BFS for FY21 was May 18. The org tree will be closed for all changes until after the FY21 budget decisions are finalized. Org tree change requests can be submitted for review and approval anytime during fiscal close as the Budget and Financial Operations (BFO) team will continue to review requests to approve in advance of when the tree will open. We recommend that you submit your change request form for review as soon as possible to allow time for the BFO team to review your request, follow up with you for any necessary clarification, approve your request, and allow you time to obtain all required signatures before the submission deadline. The time needed to review change requests will vary, depending on the complexity of the request. For more information:
- A high-level summary of the process to approve org tree changes is available on the DFL concierge webpage.
- An overview of the org tree change submission deadlines is available in the Org Tree Submission and Processing Timeline. All Org Tree change types including Org Node and DeptID movements will be available after fiscal close through November. Please review the Org Tree Calendar for the timeline of allowable org tree changes throughout the year.
- Please submit questions and requests for changes to the Org Tree to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: If you plan to request an Org Node change or Entity Hierarchy redesign, please contact email@example.com and explain what you would like to change before completing the request form because these changes are typically more complex and involve longer consultations.
Pathway to Retirement Funding
Please submit divisional requests for central funding to Yasya Goretsky at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include a copy of the signed Pathway to Retirement Agreement, and supporting documentation identifying the course(s) taught, semester, instructor(s), and GL detail when relevant. This documentation should be provided from campus-based systems, such as the Berkeley Academic Guide (course catalog) and Cal Answers.
CalPlanning and Smart View Training
Do you need to learn or enhance your skills in CalPlanning or Smart View? Training classes are available through the end of June 2021. Visit the training page of the CalPlanning website to learn more and sign up. Our new blended learning model combines self-study work that you can do at your own pace with instructor-led group learning sessions where you can apply the material covered in the self-study.
Office Hours for CalPlanning and Smart View
Office hours are available so that you can ask specific questions about CalPlanning and Smart View. Sign up for a session and indicate the topic for which you are requesting support. Office hours are an opportunity to get individual support for a specific challenge your unit is facing; they are not a replacement for training.
Changes to the DFL in your division?
If the DFL role in your division is changing, email email@example.com to ensure our website, communications, and training plans are updated.
As a reminder, these updates are regularly posted to the DFL webpage so you can reference past updates at any time.
Office of the Vice Chancellor of Finance