Upcoming Deadlines at a Glance
- Friday, 6/10 - Submit budgets in CalPlan and budget template (today)
- Friday, 6/10 - Complete External Audit Certification for Q4 (today)
- Wednesday, 6/15 - Submit draft gift agreements
- Friday, 6/17 - Submit permanent budget transfers involving revenue rebudgets
- Monday, 6/27 - Submit adjustment requests for FY22 gifts, payments, and pledges
- Thursday, 6/30 - Submit gifts and signed gift agreements
- Friday, 7/1 - Submit C&G deficit clearing waivers in BFS (RAs)
- Monday, 7/11 - Approve C&G deficit clearing waivers (DFLs)
- Wednesday, 8/17 - Submit completed and approved org tree change requests
Budget template and budget in CalPlan are due today
Budgets in CalPlan and the budget template are due today. Complete the budget template (both sections), add the completed template to your divisional folder, and email the Financial Planning & Analysis team at firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate it is complete. After the budgets are submitted in CalPlan, CalPlanning will close so the Financial Planning & Analysis team can review submissions and finalize the FY23 Operating Budget. More information is available on the budget process deliverables page. If you have any questions, please contact the VCF Immediate Office at email@example.com.
Complete External Audit Certification for Q4 by Friday, June 10 (today)
To ensure the completeness and accuracy of the quarterly Controller's report on the campus' external audit activities, please help us identify the campus' external audit activities. The Controller's Office is sending a separate email with additional information to DFLs with known external audit activity. By Friday, June 10, 2022, please submit the materials below to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- All DFLs: External Audit Confirmation Form (You must return the completed External Audit Confirmation Form even if you do not have any external audit activities so we can certify campus responses.)
- DFLs with external audit activities: External Audit Confirmation Template (Include any related documentation with the template, i.e. notification of the commencement of the audit, audit report, etc.)
If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.
Submit permanent budget transfers by Friday, June 17
Complete the Permanent Budget Journal Approval Request form to submit permanent budget transfers within your division by Friday, June 17. This includes any rebudgets to your revenue to fulfill these transfers. If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with "permanent budget journal approval" in the subject line of your email.
Submit draft gift agreements by Wednesday, June 15, and gifts and signed gift agreements by Thursday, June 30
UDAR’s Gift Services and Fund Management has posted gift transaction deadlines, submission guidelines, and contact information on the Fiscal Year-end Gift Close Eureka flyer. If there is a current-use gift that needs to be processed in time to clear a FY22 ledger deficit, please contact Gift Services senior director Matt Weaver at email@example.com.
- Wednesday, June 15, is the deadline to submit draft gift agreements for any pledge of $25k or more, and any pledge or gift that establishes a new fund to Fund Management via Fiat Docx. Questions about gift agreements may be addressed to Fund Management at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thursday, June 30, is the deadline to submit gifts and executed and signed gift agreements for inclusion in FY 2022 totals. Questions about gifts may be addressed to Gift Services at 510-643-9789 or email@example.com.
Submit Contracts & Grants deficit clearing waivers in BFS by Friday, July 1
Research Administrators (RAs) or other BFS departmental users should submit FY22 Contracts & Grants deficit clearing waiver request forms, for a waiver of deficit clearing on open awards, via the RA Grants WorkCenter no later than Friday, July 1, 2022. For the Year-End Deficit Clearing Process on open awards, BFS users can submit the C&G deficit clearing waiver request form through the RA Grants WorkCenter as of Wednesday, June 1. Refer to the action dots in the blue header row at the top of the screen in BFS for instructions. Access to the RA Grants WorkCenter is obtained by submitting a request via the SARA system. You can read more about the year-end deficit clearing process on the Deficit Clearing Process page.
Approve FY22 Contracts & Grants deficit clearing waiver request forms by Monday, July 11
The deadline for Divisional Finance Leaders (DFLs) to approve the C&G deficit clearing waiver requests in BFS is Monday, July 11, 2022. DFLs should navigate to the following page in BFS in order to approve waivers: Enterprise Components > Forms > Approve/Review a Form. Enter “CGADFCWVR” in the “Form” field.
As a reminder, the following are exempt from the Year-End C&G Deficit Clearing Process related to open awards. Please do not submit a waiver under these circumstances:
- Awards that have a final Financial Report due date after May 31 and before January 1.
- Awards with an Anticipated Funding Amount recorded in BFS that exceeds the total actual expenses as of June 30. The Anticipated Funding Amount for awards is found in the BFS fund panel on the "Award Info" page.
If you have further questions regarding the Contracts & Grants deficit clearing processes, please contact the Controller’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit completed and approved org tree change requests by Wednesday, August 17
If you would like to submit changes to the Org Tree, please submit your completed, Budget and Financial Operations (BFO) Committee approved request by Wednesday, August 17. As a reminder, the May 18 submission date was the last day that approved change requests could be submitted for entry to the May Master Org Tree. Allowable changes through May 31 included New DeptIDs, New Org Nodes, and Description Changes. The Org Tree is now closed to all changes through fiscal close. We recommend that you submit your change request form for review as soon as possible to allow time for the BFO team to review your request, follow up with you for any necessary clarification, approve your request, and allow you time to obtain all required signatures before the submission deadline. The time needed to review change requests will vary, depending on the complexity of the request. For more information:
- A high-level summary of the process to approve org tree changes is available on the DFL concierge webpage.
- An overview of the org tree change submission deadlines is available in the Org Tree Submission and Processing Timeline.
- Please review the Org Tree Calendar for the timeline of allowable org tree changes throughout the year.
- Please submit questions and requests for changes to the Org Tree to email@example.com. Note: If you plan to request an Org Node change or Entity Hierarchy redesign, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and explain what you would like to change before completing the request form because these changes are typically more complex and involve longer consultations.
Endowment FY23 payout projections are now available
Endowment payout projections for FY23 are now available through the Cal Advancement Database System (CADS), where users can look at estimates for specific funds or run reports for a school/college, division, or department. CADS users can run the Future Payout Report in CADSmart or look at payout estimates for individual funds on the allocation screens. Contact Fund Management at email@example.com with any endowment payout questions. To learn more about endowments, please go to Eureka, Berkeley's advancement intranet, which can be accessed with your CalNet credentials.
Students and employees as vendors will be removed from BearBUY on May 31
During this spring BFS release, updates will be made to BearBUY and BFS to support streamlined financial operations. One of the changes associated with this update is that we will remove students and employees as suppliers in BearBUY. In most cases, payments to students or employees are already generated from sources other than BearBUY. Please begin using the appropriate systems immediately. Beginning on May 26, unapproved payments to students and employees in BearBUY will be canceled and will have to be re-entered in the appropriate system for that transaction. If the payment has already been approved and exported to BFS by May 26 it will not be impacted by this change. This change does not impact financial aid payments coming from the Student Information System (SIS) or compensation to employees or students coming from UCPath. This change does not impact the reimbursement system, which should already be used for most student and employee reimbursements. Going forward, if a student or employee requires a payment that cannot be accommodated in the reimbursement system, SIS or UCPath, they will need to go through the supplier onboarding process in order to be available for selection as a payee in BearBUY. Visit the Controller’s website for more information on removing students and employee suppliers from BearBUY. If you have any questions about this change, you can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
IX settlement agreement - UCOP journal correction
The May journal (UCP1046373) posted by UCPath to account, among other elements, for the IX settlement agreement debited the department instead of debiting the central ledger. We are working on correcting this issue before fiscal close. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Office Hours for CalPlanning and Smart View
Office hours are available so that you can ask specific questions about CalPlanning and Smart View. Request office hours and indicate the topic for which you are requesting support. Office hours are an opportunity to get individual support for a specific challenge your unit is facing; they are not a replacement for training.
Cal Answers Training
Please review the self-service learning resources on the Cal Answers website, where Cal Answers users will find a complete course in basic navigation as well as short videos, job aids, wiki documentation, and a list of Frequently Asked Questions. Additionally, the two-hour instructor-led classes build on the basic navigation skills covered in the self-study. There are separate courses focusing on financial dashboards and student data dashboards. In the class, a subject matter expert will guide a deep dive into the reports and data available in the dashboards and answer specific questions.
Open position in VC Administration
The Division of Administration has an open Financial Analyst 4 position. Review the position posting.
Changes to the DFL in your division?
If the DFL role in your division is changing, email email@example.com to ensure our website, communications, and training plans are updated.
DFL Weekly Updates Page
As a reminder, these updates are regularly posted to the DFL Weekly Updates page so you can reference past updates at any time. Additionally, the Operational Deadlines page provides an overview of deliverables by quarter.
Office of the Vice Chancellor of Finance